Sunday, August 11, 2013

Cookies

I made some cookies for the missionaries the other day. Good old chocolate chip cookies. I have made chocolate chip cookies probably 23,854,739 times in my life. There was nothing that could go wrong.

The recipe calls for "softened butter" and since refrigerated butter is rock hard, I always microwave it. My mistake in the past is that I microwave the butter until the point that it is boiling, basically. I wanted to truly get "softened" butter this time. I microwaved the butter for a few seconds at a time until it wasn't hard as granite anymore, then added it to the sugar/vanilla. The recipe said to beat it until it got "fluffy". Mine looked like little pebbles. The mixture was not sticking together. I figured once I added in the flour and other ingredients it would all work out.

I added all the other ingredients and now the mixture looked like sand.



It was kind of like moon sand. It would stick together if you pressed it together, but otherwise it wouldn't. I tried mushing it together with a spoon thinking maybe there was just a bunch of butter chunks in there that didn't get spread out and that made it dry. 

No luck.

I tried microwaving it so the butter would melt and make the cookie dough more moist.

No luck.

I finally showed it to my mom showing her how weird the cookie dough turned out. This had never happened before. One tiny glance over at the bowl and she asked "did you add the eggs?" Ummmm..... NOPE. How do you forget the only real liquid ingredient in your cookie recipe? You focus too much on the softened butter, that's how. I added the eggs and all was well in the cookie universe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment